Thursday, May 10, 2007

Brussels Again... I

I really enjoyed my second day in Brussels. The misadventures of the previous day had oriented me and I spent time on the drive listing and strategizing my sightseeing.

I would start at the Chocolate Museum, then wander around the shops in the Grand Place area, then head out to the Museum of Modern Art whose cafe looked very nice just in time for lunch. After lunch, the Bande Dessinee Museum, peut-etre. And always, Fnac on my mind; would I be able to make it? And the European Union buildings (with the 50th anniversary coming up that weekend). And I suppose, NATO--after all, I am an international relations scholar.

It took us three hours to drive in (and out), with the bulk of that time in both directions being spent in Belgian traffic. There is a bottleneck at all times around Antwerp. It is not like the traffic there is unusual or occasional; at all times, trucks from all over Europe head towards and away from this important port. This, by the way, is one of this childish joys that await those who drive in this direction. You can see licence plates from all over the European Union.

Suffice it to say, my day was like none of my plans but much better!

No comments: