Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Lost and found in Brussels

I had a chance to drive into Brussels, Belgium, two days in a row. On the first day, I met a friend for lunch, and set out confidently from our parking near the Grand Place.
As she later put it, the best way to get oriented in a new place, is to get lost and find one's way. These are some of the things I passed on my way to the Musuem of Musical Instruments not knowing what they were! My first impression of Brussels was that it was pretty but pretty inscrutable.
The beautiful Eglise de Sablon... I stopped in for a minute and its silence stays with me.

The Museum of Musical Instruments is housed in a striking building that used to be a department store called Old England.

The building sits atop a hill where the royal palace and several other museums are located. We were to meet for lunch at a restaurant on its top floor from which the view is spectacular.

And what are Brussels photographs without the Grand Place thrown in?


Day One was reconnaissance for Day Two. Day Two ... well, click on those posts to see what Day Two was like! So back we went over the border to the Netherlands....

No comments: